Springer Correctional Center (SCC) was formally the New Mexico Boys' School. This facility was established when territorial Governor George Curry issued a proclamation declaring it to be a territorial institution, which officially opened on October 1, 1909. The property consists of approximately 4,000 acres.
In November 2005, the Children, Youth & Families Department decided to close the juvenile facility. The New Mexico Corrections Department determined it would be suitable to house Level 1 & 2 inmates. The NMCD requested and received funding to operate the facility from the 2006 legislature. Construction of a double perimeter fence, installation of lighting, security cameras and remodeling of the interior began in June 2006. SCC opened officially on January 1, 2007.
The main compound covers approximately 40 acres. Most of the current facility was built in the mid-1960's and is designed as an open campus with ten separate living units. The balance of the acreage is utilized for growing alfalfa to feed the facility cattle during the winter.
SCC has approximately 22 buildings. This includes eight dormitories, two level one housing units, several multi-programs buildings, maintenance buildings, and kitchen, dining and warehouse facilities. The gym complex consists of a full basketball court and weight room.
Saturday & Sunday & Holidays
8:30am - 3:30pm
In order to visit an inmate, you must be on the approved visitation list. Click here for the visitation policy and information.
P.O. Box 10
Springer, New Mexico 87747
Send all mail for inmates to their location address above. Please make sure and put to their attention and their NMCD#.
Inmates are not allowed to receive phone calls or any electronic correspondence.