Contact Us


For assistance, questions or comments for Constituent & Family Services, please contact us at or via telephone at 505-827-8710

When submitting an inquiry, please provide the following: Offender’s full name, NMCD#, DOB and/or SS# (if available) and your relationship with the individual.

NMCD is unable to provide any offender health and/or mental health information without a current, signed, and witnessed or notarized release from the offender authorizing the release of the desired information.

Please be advised that all Medical inquiries will be reviewed



My loved one was recently convicted of a crime. He is at the county jail waiting to be transferred to RDC. What is RDC and what is the process once he gets there?

RDC stands for the Reception and Diagnostic Center (RDC).RDC is the processing location a person who comes to prison. Upon incarceration an offenders first few weeks are in RDC, undergoing orientation and the classification process. Upon completion the inmates are transferred to their assigned facility.

My loved one is at prison far from home and travel to visit is difficult. Can they be transferred to a facility closer to family?

It is difficult to transfer inmates based on being closer to their families. Inmates are assigned to facilities based on their custody level and space availability. Many times, family members call and want the inmate transferred. The request must come from the inmate. An inmate may initiate a lateral transfer request through their caseworker. The request is processed through classification at the facility. If approved at the facility level, the request is submitted to Offender Management Services for final decision.

My loved one was initially advised by the caseworker that he/she was getting out of prison on the 10th of this month. He/she has since been informed that his release date is the 20th of the month. Why did the date change?

Inmates are given a projected release date. A “projected” date is determined by the good time that the inmate has earned and/or is expected to earn. If good time is not earned as anticipated, or is forfeited as a result of a misconduct report, the inmate’s release date will change. Also, if additional good time is earned or credited (by the courts or restored) this will result in an adjusted release date. Please note that all inmate files are audited prior to release. Any errors found must be corrected which may affect the release date.

How do I send money to an inmate?

Funds sent to an inmate from family or friends must be in the form of a money order. The money order should indicate the inmate’s name and their five (5) digit Corrections number. The sender of the money must be on the inmates approved visitor list for the inmate to receive the money. All monies received in proper form are deposited into the inmates account. The inmate will be advised of this deposit through a receipt.

What do I need to do in order to visit an inmate?

Inmates must request to have your name placed on their visiting list. A visiting application will be sent to you for completion. The questionnaire is to be filled out completely and accurately. When the application is returned, it will be reviewed for an approval or denial in accordance with visiting guidelines. Your name will be added to the visiting list once it has been approved.

My husband received a misconduct report for being in possession of drugs at the prison? He claims he is innocent of these charges. What can be done?

Inmates are required to comply with standards of reasonable behavior and limitations in order to ensure the general welfare and safety of all persons living and working within the institution. This is established and maintained in fair disciplinary procedures and practices based on due process. When an inmate receives a misconduct report, it is processed through the disciplinary procedure. This includes a hearing based on evidence and an investigation. If an inmate is found guilty based on the above procedure, he/she may file a disciplinary appeal on form CD-090101.7. Inmates are provided with this information at orientation.

My visits were suspended at the prison. Is there anything I can I do?

The visitor will be informed in writing from the Facility if the visitation privileges are suspended or terminated. Any visitor who has received a suspension or termination of visiting privileges may appeal the decision by following the appeal process found in the Inmate Visitation policy.

I recently tested positive on the ION drug scan machine. I agreed to have my vehicle searched and was offered a non-contact visit. I do not do drugs, nor do any members of my family, yet, I still tested positive. Why?.

The ION Drug Scan device is designed to register minute traces of drug residue that may have been encountered in everyday activities. It does not indicate that you use drugs. The use of this device is a necessary measure to prevent narcotics from entering the facility.

My loved one claims that he/she is not receiving proper medical attention at the prison. What can be done?

Inmates may request to see medical staff by submitting a “sick call slip” to the medical department where the inmate is located. Medical staff will determine what action is necessary. If the inmate is unhappy with the medical care, he/she may utilize the grievance process, as per New Mexico Corrections Department policy. When that process is complete, and the inmate is still unhappy, the inmate then has an appeal process. At that point, the New Mexico Corrections Department’s Medical Director will review the case. Please note: Medical staff is not allowed to provide family members with medical information concerning the inmate unless the inmate has signed a medical waiver, or an authorization form to release the information.

I asked my husband who was recently paroled, what his parole conditions were, and he claims he never got a copy of them.

Inmates who are paroled are required to sign the parole conditions prior to being released. They are given a copy of these conditions to ensure that they comply with what the Parole Board stipulated. They are encouraged to keep this document with them or in an accessible place. If they happen to lose this document, they can get another copy from their parole officer.