The Education Bureau is committed to Courageously and Responsibly providing quality educational\vocational programs and library services to incarcerated individuals. We are committed to the Ethical pursuit of educational excellence as we assist incarcerated individuals to become responsible members of the family, workforce, and community upon release. This will be accomplished through teamwork, Dedication, and collaboration with other departments, agencies, and the community at large.
- We are a Courageous diverse, skilled, forward-looking work force that recognizes safety and security as essential business practices.
- The New Mexico Corrections Department Education Bureau takes a Responsible and proactive stance in the development, implementation, and support of programs showing the most promise of successful transition back to the community, family, and workplace.
- We require Ethical and sound fiscal management of public resources by using data driven decisions and evidence-based practices.
- We are Dedicated to creating partnerships with other state agencies that can provide released inmates with those resources necessary to leading a productive, crime-free life.
Superintendent of Education Programs
Public Safety Center
615 1st Street, NW
Albuquerque, NM 87102
Supervisors of Education
Central New Mexico Correctional Facility
Guadalupe County Correctional Facility
Northwest New Mexico Correctional Center
Northeastern NM Correctional Facility
Roswell Correctional Center
Southern New Mexico Correctional Facility
Western New Mexico Correctional Facility
Adult Basic Education/General Education Diploma
Basic academic skills instruction and preparation for GED testing including career/technical, college readiness, Special Education, and adult literacy is available at all state correctional facilities.
Instructional delivery methods are as follows:
- Small group
- Community volunteer tutoring
- Peer tutoring
- Computer-aided instruction
- Cell-to-cell instruction and
- E-TV (educational television)
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Programs and courses assisting offenders in recognizing destructive behavior patterns and developing positive, pro-social thinking habits in all areas of their lives are available at varying state correctional facilities.
Courses are as follows:
- Moral Reconation Therapy (MRT)®
- Moral Reconation Therapy Domestic Violence (MRT-DV)®
- Charting A New Course, and
- Breaking Barriers
Post-Secondary Education (College)
Courses are offered through accredited colleges leading to Associate Degrees and Vocational Certificates. College courses vary by facility and are provided in partnership with Eastern New Mexico University Roswell (ENMU-R), Luna Community College (LCC) and Mesalands Community College (MCC) available at varying state correctional facilities. Students may also pursue college education under their own funding through an accredited post-secondary institution.
Students complete courses through the following processes:
- Mailed correspondence
- Classroom Instruction
- Closed-server, and
- Distance learning
Programs and courses that focus on family reunification including family literacy and skills. Residents learn parenting skills by reading to their children on audio or video tape, and meet family obligations during incarceration are available at varying state correctional facilities.
Courses offered include the following:
- Inside Out Dad
- Fathers As Readers, and
- P.S. I Love You
The Making the Right Turn to Reentry, pre-release guide is provided to prepare inmates, who are within six (6) months of release, with processes to assist their reintegration back to their communities.
This 14-20 hour instructor-led program provides an overview of the following topics
- Life Skills
- Living Under Supervision
- Money Management, and
The Education Bureau offers a variety of programs designed to increase student’s ability upon release to find a viable career that offers a living wage with programs and courses varying by facility.
Courses offered include as follows:
- Advanced Computer Technologies
- Building Trades-Cabinetry
- C-tech(Network Cabling
- NCCER CORE
- NCCER CORE Safety
- Electrical (Residential Electrical Wiring)
- HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning)
- Introduction to Computers
- Microsoft Office Proficiency (MOS)
- PC Maintenance
- PC Specialist
- Welding, and
- WET (Wind Energy Technology).