Correctional Officer/Cadet Job Descriptions
Cadet = $15.55 per hour
Correctional Officer = $18.75 per hour
Shift differential = $.60 per hour
PNM (Santa Fe only) = An additional TEMPORARY Recruitment Differential Pay
Shift Hours, Odd Hours, overtime, weekend and holidays.
Purpose of Position
The purpose of this position is to guard inmates in a penal or rehabilitative institution in accordance with established regulations and procedures. Cadets receive and complete training at a correctional academy for adult correctional institutions.
No experience is required for this position.
- Must be 18 Years of Age or Older – There is no upper age limit
- Be a High School Graduate or Equivalent
- Be a United States Citizen
- Possess a valid New Mexico drivers license or ability to obtain one.
- No Felony Convictions
- No Domestic Violence Convictions
- Pass Entry Screening Tests – Held every Tuesday at 8:00 a.m. at the New Mexico Training Academy
- Ability to perform essential duties as outlined below
- Ability to perform work within the physical demand requirements as outlined below.
- Ability to be rotated to any post as part of normal post assignments and also to relieve other officers.
- Physical ability to control inmates by force, when necessary, to defend oneself and other against physical attack by inmates.
- Ability to withstand prolonged hours of work.
- Ability to pass a physical agility test
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language.
- Ability to read, write and comprehend information in the English language.
- Ability to maintain defensive driving certification.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical computations.
- Ability to think logically and effectively analyze situations and use good judgment.
- Ability to understand instructions and follow orders.
- Ability to search for contraband and provide security.
- Ability to count, fee and supervise inmates in housing, work and other areas accessed by stairs.
- Ability to provide custody and security of inmates including observing actions of inmates; to perform “pat” and/or “strip” search of inmates; restraining and securing sometimes assaultive inmates; and transferring and transporting inmates by walking or riding in various vehicles such as trailers, vans, buses, and other forms of transportation.
- Ability to provide security for inmates performing technical skills such as construction, maintenance, laundry, food service and in varied industrial and agricultural operations which involve climbing stairs and ladders; climbing around the inside or outside of buildings.
- Ability to withstand long periods of all types of weather; working outdoors and indoors without air conditioning; and working around motorized or moving equipment and machinery.
- Ability to respond quickly to emergencies; including climbing stairs and ladders while searching for escaped inmates; hearing calls for and/or calling for help; giving first aid at the emergency site; carrying an injured or unconscious person various distances to safety, up or down stairs and ladders; using force and/or deadly force, including the use of chemical agents and firearms, to control inmates.
- Ability to read, review and properly apply information found in inmate record, which is related to the inmate’s health and safety and to the security of the prison; provide appropriate information to other personnel.
- Ability to comply with all policies, procedures, rules, regulations and post orders.
- Ability to prepare and maintain records, forms and reports.
- Ability to work under potentially dangerous circumstances in a correctional facility.
The academy is a stay academy of 4 days a week, 8 weeks of instruction that combines course work with practical’s. From basic introduction courses to CPR and firearms. The academy is held in Santa Fe NM. Our goal is to provide you with all the basic tools needed for you to be successful when you arrive at your facility. You will be required to complete a physical agility exit standard for gradation.
- 1 mile under 12:22
- 16 standard push ups
- 18 sit ups
- 300 meter under 80 seconds
Agency Mission & Description
The Corrections Department provides a balanced system approach to corrections from incarceration to community – based supervision with training, education, programs and services that provide opportunities for offenders to transition to communities.
Disqualifier Protocol Policy- Must Read
- 25+ Year Retirement Plan
- Paid Vacation Leave – 10 Days Per Year
- Paid Sick Leave – 12 Days Per Year
- Paid Personal Leave Day – After 1 Year of Employment
- Upon Successful Completion of the Corrections Academy starting pay is $18.75 per hour at all state facilities.
- An additional $2.25 per hour Temporary Recruitment Differential will be paid to individuals employed at the Santa Fe facility only.
- Shift Differential Pay $.60 per hour at all facilities.
- College credits upon graduation from the Academy may be transferable to an accredited college towards an Associates Degree in Criminal Justice.
- Life, Health, Dental, Vision, and More… State pays 80% of the benefit package.
No prior experience necessary!